- Responsible for the creative and technical aspects of product development for Color Cosmetics and related products.
- Maintains close awareness of scientific literature, raw materials technology, processing methodology, and marketing trends required to perform innovative product development assignments in a timely and efficient manner.
- Gains experience in a competitive patent environment while overseeing a safe and orderly laboratory environment.
- Manage, develop a team of professional to execute new cosmetic and beauty products for all markets and business segments of the business as well as, enact improvements on existing products and to ensure finished product quality; work closely with other functions within the organization and external partners to identify new technologies and deliver superior products that delight consumers while meeting safety and regulatory requirements.
- Expand and develop RD&I teams in USA and China as needed to meet the current & future aspirations of the company.
- Work closely with Marketing in product direction, establishing priorities, and recommending new development ideas.
- Identify new technologies and product improvement opportunities to provide consumer delight.
- Conduct performance, (lab, Sensory, IHUT and Clinical) stability and preservative efficacy studies of the new products using both in house means as well as independent laboratories when required.
- Evaluate technical data and projects for merit and feasibility.
- Conduct first production audits on new products. (May include those manufactured by contract vendors).
- Work with Manufacturing to meet quality and cost targets.
- Evaluate and develop strong relations with contractors and vendors.
- Work with and develop a team to assist and propel the above items.
- Show creativity and resourcefulness to come up with solutions to issues which may arise during the development process and/or in anticipation to issues which may come up in pilot plant or manufacturing.
- Perform product stability on all formulas as well as rectify stability issues.
- Must meet deadlines and interact with various groups within R&I.
- Manage multiple projects and follow through on all aspects of projects from inception to product launch and post launch issues resolution. Attention to details through the development steps.
- Interface with technical support groups including marketing, Demi-grand, and manufacturing.
- Maintains technical awareness of developments within field of responsibility.
- Communicates development challenges to management on a timely basis, while offering alternative solutions.
- Keeps accurate and precise records.
- Perform other assigned projects and functions as directed by management.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or related sciences – Advanced Degree Preferred
Experience & Skills Required
- Minimum of 10 years of cosmetic formulation development (i.e. Skincare, Makeup or Hair formulas)
- Must have hands-on experience in formulating Color Cosmetics
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal communication skills
- Good problem solving and decision making skills. Displays a sense of urgency and initiative with creativity and flexibility.