New Albany, OH
- Job Level:
Global Fragrance Manufacturer is seeking a Product Development Manager for their facility in New Albany, OH. The role reports directly to the Director of R&D.
The Fragrance Product Development Manager will be responsible for:
- Identify white space and product performance improvement opportunities within the Fragrance category. Translating these opportunities into concept creation and commercialization of new product launches, analyzing consumer insights to support strategic initiatives, and maintaining a strong understanding of the external marketplace in home fragrance / air care segments.
- Responsible for completing multiple projects within the air care and home fragrance market.
- The successful candidate will work across multiple functions, identifying risks and challenges, and clearly communicate those risks back to management and key stakeholders.
- The typical product launch may include a bid/quote process, project planning, trial samples, packaging trials, specification and artwork/graphic development, stability testing and ultimately production.
- Analyze competitive marketplace, consumer insights/behavior, market trends, and product performance to develop a pipeline of new products that meet marketplace and customer needs
- Demonstrate strong curiosity about new technology that could have application to products to fragrance the home.
- Manage the product development process from concept to market launch
- Commercialize new products specific to product/functional objectives, with a focus on fragrance performance.
- Help create product performance objectives and develop prototype evaluation protocols versus objectives.
- Create & maintain Project Initiation Forms to inform Commercialization partners and start the product development process.
- Identifying and tracking key category competitors; track performance of current customers; maintain database of competitive products and technology
- Contribute to the development of a project timeline, and organize stakeholder meetings to track progress in achieving project milestones
- Manage product cost profiles and responsible for achieving cost targets
- Work in concert with all departments Operations/Quality/Accounting to ensure product timeline is deliverable and aligned with internal departments and external customer
- Work with Purchasing / suppliers to ensure that component and production lead times are challenged and reduced to the lowest possible level
- Evaluate pre-production samples and finished goods upon receipt
- Stay up to date on trends in the fine fragrance and home fragrance field; create quarterly presentations to share with relevant stakeholders
- Work with supervisor to ensure implementation of necessary technical resources to meet targets, deadlines and formula cost per specifications indicated in product development brief
- Track progress of the project(s) vs. critical path and communicate status and any potential challenges while offering altern
- BS/BA/MBA in Marketing and/or technical degree (Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, etc.) with relevant job experience preferred
Experience & Skills Required
- 5-10 years of hands-on product development in home fragrance, air care, fine fragrance, or personal care (preferably with highly fragranced products).
- Understanding & experience will all stages of product development, from ideation to consumer insights through testing, regulatory, scale up and transition to manufacturing/commercialization.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, while efficiently managing timelines.
- Ability to proactively monitor, investigate, troubleshoot and resolve issues related to product development
- Experience within fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment such as private label and/or contract manufacturing organization
- Strong individual contributor capable of operating without direct supervision.
- Excellent written/verbal communication and problem-solving skills.