We are seeking an experienced Health & Safety Manager with solid knowledge of compliance and safety operations for production scale chemical operations. This position will be a subject matter expert providing guidance to the Corporate Management Team, Operations, and Facilities.
The Health & Safety Manager will be responsible for managing all aspects of safety programs, compliance and employee training. This position also performs a variety of complex safety program development, implementation, inspection, coordination, investigation, and evaluation of tasks. The Health & Safety Manager will be responsible for site safety audits, investigation and analysis of site incidents, and interacting with regulatory and compliance agencies. The successful candidate will have knowledge of chemical processing operations and the associated safety practices.
- Inspire a culture of safety as a key corporate value and driver of future success.
- Lead adoption of strategies to efficiently and effectively highlight safety in the course of all business activities.
- Act as main liaison for all OSHA related compliance and investigatory issues.
- Design and promote a “Safety First” mentality among ALL EMPLOYEES by providing educational information, accurate and informative data, conducting safety committee meetings, review existing practices and optimize policies and procedures of safety program.
- Direct and lead the Safety Committee. Provide timely response to safety suggestions, support production, laboratory, field and office safety programs.
- Advise and actively participate in risk and hazard evaluation of existing processes, procedures, operating areas, equipment and new capital investments.
- Provide expert safety guidance associated with but not limited to oxidation reactions, reduction reactions, functional group transformations, C-C bond formations etc.
- Provides timely resolutions to safety issues by defining the problem, determining root cause, establishing action plans and priorities, and providing technical assistance.
- Conducts and/or oversees safety training programs for employees at all levels as required.
- Responsible for monitoring and reporting safety and accident metrics to senior management and to client and regulatory entities, as required.
- Responsible for monitoring regulations and directing programs to ensure compliance with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations for commercial vehicles utilized in company business.
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety, Environmental Health & Safety, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or related technical field.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) highly desired
Experience & Skills Required
- 10+ years of experience in an industrial setting with 3+ years of managerial experience in Health and Safety.
- 5+ years’ experience conducting safety assessments.
- Advanced technical knowledge of Health and Safety practices, procedures and techniques.
- Must also possess an advanced knowledge of chemistry and chemical reactions,
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to write safety policies and procedures from scratch. Will be required to provide examples of past written policies and procedures.
- Ability to recognize onsite risk factors and take appropriate action with firmness and tact.