- Job Level:
$110,000 - $125,000
We are seeking an experienced Laboratory Manager with analytical and microbiology expertise and strong team-building and leadership skills. The Laboratory Manager will be responsible for overseeing personnel, ensuring the effectiveness of laboratory operations and promoting company policies, developing staff providing general leadership to a team of ~15 with 4 direct reports.
Our client is a well respected Specialty Chemical manufacturer located in Fairfield County Connecticut.
- Provide leadership, mentorship and technical oversight to the laboratory department.
- Maintain operational efficiency of the laboratory, ensure appropriate prioritization of work to meet department targets and communicate challenges with the management team.
- Promote a high degree of co-operation and communication among the laboratory staff and other departments within the organization.
- Maintain discipline and morale within the department, recommend promotions/transfers to the management team as appropriate.
- Implement and ensure compliance with quality management system (ISO-9001:2000) policies.
- Prepare and manage department budget.
- Oversee effectiveness of the laboratory.
- Interpret data, prepare and present department performance and statistics related to laboratory testing, department projects and budget items to the management team, as required.
- Review laboratory test procedures for adequacy & relevance, update procedures when appropriate.
- Ensure timely reporting of technical test results. Communicate suggestions or deviations with requestors.
- Ensure that Sales personnel are kept fully informed of laboratory customer contact, unusual test requests and/or test results.
- Ensure appropriate communication with Sales & Technical team personnel.
- Communicate testing information
- MS/BS Chemistry, Biology or Life Science major
Experience & Skills Required
- 5+ years of hands-on analytical testing experience, 2 years of microbiology (experience or technical oversight)
- 2+ years of management experience
- Excellent communication and computer skills
- Strong attention to detail, well organized and highly collaborative
- Ability to motivate a team, strong time-management and project management skills
- Ability to meet the physical requirements of the position including frequent bending, reaching, repetitive hand and arm movements, standing, lifting up to 20 lbs. and reading printed material or computer screens for a prolonged period
- Requires frequent lifting and carrying items weighing up to 20 pounds unassisted.